Thursday 4 July 2013

Assembling an Art Travel Kit

The theme for the Summer season of 12 Months in View is Vacations & Travel.  Susan has written this travel-related blog post which combines well with today's prompt on Passport to Art.

Here's Susan:
My husband and I will be taking a road trip this summer. He will be doing the driving, as he doesn’t like being a passenger.  That is fine with me – I get to read, write, nap and create art! I plan to keep this kit assembled for the summer.  I’ll take it into the yard or onto the front porch, or…

My first consideration was choosing a container to hold the supplies and also serve as a lap desk. I chose a plastic carrying case designed to hold 12x12 inch scrapbook paper. I am also limiting myself to what will fit in the box.

Next came deciding what to include in the kit. I would like to work on my visual journals so decided what I could bring for that. I tested each item to make sure I could work with it on my lap.

I want to add collage elements but don’t want to use a glue stick. It took a while to figure out what would work, but did find a solution. My preference for collage adhesive is matte Mod Podge. I filled a large syringe with it. While testing, I discovered that the cover of the box works well as a palette too.


Paint would be impractical, but my Derwent Inktense Blocks and Niji water brushes would be ideal.



Here is what I’ve packed:

Spiral bound journal
Unbound journal pages
Mini circle journal
Scissors
Papers pre-cut and torn, for collages
Derwent Inktense Color Blocks and Tinted Charcoal Pencils
Markers, Micron Pens and Pencil
Stencils
Niji water brushes in 3 sizes
Mod Podge in syringe & brushes
Paper towels
Deli paper

I made this mini journal out of old map pages. I plan to record the towns we pass through on the pages. Unfortunately the map pages do not coincide with the areas we will be visiting.



Challenge: 
Pack your own Art Travel Kit and take it on your vacation, to the beach, park, front porch, even to work (a mini art retreat during lunch!)