Sunday 11 August 2013

Recycled Maps

I love maps.  When Roger & I are on holiday I am the one who does the navigating - with proper maps - no satnav for us.  Although Roger does own one - for the times when I'm not with him!

It's always sad when a map needs throwing away but here are some ideas for re-using them.

Some time ago I did an online class with Shimelle called Explore where she suggested making embellishments.  I loved these.

So stealing this idea I cut out circles using nestabilities and a die cutting machine.

I stamped birds, flowers and butterflies onto map paper.

And cut them out.

I also cut out butterflies with a punch. I  assembled the embellishments.

I used some of the embellishments I made on this tag.

And the cutouts on these tags for Summer of Color.


Another thing you can do with old maps is to make journals.  The obvious is a travel journal but you could use the maps as decoration.

I have made two different types of journal.  The first is a 5 inch square zigzag book made from watercolour paper.

These are all the pages laid out flat.




To find out how I made this book please go to Newly Creative.  While you're there you will also be able to find out about this book made from a map.

The inside looks like this.

I hope you enjoy recycling your maps.  Please share your work with us using the linky below.